Our work and activities
Cochrane Public Health Europe (CPHE) was established in 2015 to support and disseminate the work of Cochrane Public Health in Europe and beyond. Over the past years, several initiatives have emerged in Europe, including in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, with the common goal to promote the development and use of evidence-based methods in public health (e.g. through the German Network for Evidence-Based Medicine and the European Summer School in Evidence-Based Public Health). In line with these initiatives CPHE will:
- Support CPH authors in Europe and encourage potential review authors to engage in a CPH review.
- Provide editor support via the assistant managing editor.
- Assist in the recruitment of CPH editors in Europe.
- Undertake methodological peer-review of CPH reviews conducted in Europe and beyond.
- Engage with national and Europe-based public health institutions, in particular WHO and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.
- Disseminate up-to-date public health evidence in appropriate formats.
- Contribute to a formal prioritisation process for the CPH.
Beyond their contribution to the CPH, the partners of CPHE envisage broader joint activities to promote evidence-based public health in their countries and in Europe, in particular methods development for systematic reviews in the public health field and capacity-building. Furthermore, the partners will contribute to workshops and conferences in Europe and develop joint research proposals.
Partners and governance structure
Currently, the following institutions are partners of the European satellite (in no particular order):
- Institute for Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, Pettenkofer School of Public Health, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany
(Dr. Eva Rehfuess, Laura Busert, Anke Rohwer)
- Health Sciences Bremen comprising Institute for Public Health and Nursing Research, University of Bremen and Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology BIPS, Bremen, Germany
(Prof. Hajo Zeeb, Prof. Ansgar Gerhardus, Prof. Stefan K. Lhachimi, Dr. Manuela Pfinder, Thomas Heise)
- Cochrane Austria and Department for Evidence-based Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, Danube University, Krems, Austria
(Dr. Ursula Griebler, Prof. Gerald Gartlehner)
- Cochrane Switzerland comprising Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, Lausanne University Hospital and Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Prevention Institute, University of Zurich, Switzerland
(Dr. Erik von Elm, Prof. Bernard Burnand, Dr. Margot Mütsch, Prof. Milo Puhan, Aline Flatz)
Partners focus on different aspects according to their expertise, interests and resources; over time and with an expected increase in financial and personnel resources, the initial activities may expand. All projects will be coordinated among the partners in order to avoid redundancy and to benefit from potential synergies.
The satellite has a governance committee, with a rotating lead, where each partner institution will take the lead for two years. During 2015 and 2016, the Ludwig-Maximilians-University is coordinating the work of CPHE. An advisory board, including representatives of CPH, complements the governance structure.
For more information please contact Laura Busert (LMU): firstname.lastname@example.org