Our work and activities
Cochrane Public Health Europe (CPHE) was established in 2015 to support and disseminate the work of Cochrane Public Health in Europe and beyond. Over the past years, several initiatives have emerged in Europe, including in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, with the common goal to promote the development and use of evidence-based methods in public health (e.g. through the German Network for Evidence-Based Medicine and the European Summer School in Evidence-Based Public Health). In line with these initiatives CPHE does:
- Disseminate up-to-date public health evidence in appropriate formats - click here to sign up to our topic-specific infomail service
- Translate Cochrane Public Health (CPH) reviews
- Provide editorial support for CPH protocols and reviews: methodological peer review and assistance in search strategy development
- Contribute to a formal prioritisation process for the CPH group
- Support CPH authors in Europe and encourage potential review authors to engage in a CPH review
- Engage with national and Europe-based public health institutions, in particular WHO and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
Beyond their contribution to the CPH group, the partners of CPHE are engaged in broader joint activities to promote evidence-based public health in their countries and in Europe, in particular methods development for systematic reviews in the public health field and capacity building. Furthermore, the partners contribute to workshops and conferences in Europe and develop joint research proposals.
Partners and governance structure
Currently, the following institutions are partners of CPHE (in no particular order):
- Pettenkofer School of Public Health, Institute for Medical Information Processing, Biometry and Epidemiology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany
(Prof. Eva Rehfuess, Dr. Jan Stratil)
- Health Sciences Bremen comprising Institute for Public Health and Nursing Research, University of Bremen and Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology BIPS, Bremen, Germany
(Dr. Manuela Bombana, Dr. Karina K. De Santis, Prof. Ansgar Gerhardus, Thomas L. Heise, Dyon Hoekstra, Dr. Stefan K. Lhachimi, Prof. Hajo Zeeb)
- Cochrane Germany and Institute for Evidence in Medicine (for Cochrane Germany Foundation), Medical Center - University of Freiburg, Faculty of Medicine, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany.
(Katharina Kohler, Prof. Jörg Meerpohl, Dr. Lukas Schwingshackl)
- Cochrane Austria and Department for Evidence-based Medicine and Evaluation, Danube University, Krems, Austria
(Prof. Gerald Gartlehner, Dr. Ursula Griebler, Christina Kien, Irma Klerings)
- Cochrane Switzerland, Center for Primary Care and Public Health (Unisanté), University of Lausanne (UNIL), Switzerland and Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Prevention Institute, University of Zurich, Switzerland
(Anne Borchard, Dr. Margot Mütsch, Prof. Milo Puhan, Dr. Erik von Elm)
Partners focus on different aspects according to their expertise, interests and resources. All projects are coordinated among the partners in order to avoid redundancy and to benefit from potential synergies.
CPHE has a governance committee, with a rotating coordination. As of January 2020, Cochrane Switzerland (Center for Primary Care and Public Health (Unisanté), University of Lausanne (UNIL), Switzerland leads the coordination.
For more information, please contact Anne Borchard (Cochrane Switzerland): CPHE@unisante.ch