Our work and activities
Cochrane Public Health Europe (CPHE) was established in 2015 to support and disseminate the work of Cochrane Public Health in Europe and beyond. Over the past years, several initiatives have emerged in Europe, including in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, with the common goal to promote the development and use of evidence-based methods in public health (e.g. through the German Network for Evidence-Based Medicine and the European Summer School in Evidence-Based Public Health). In line with these initiatives CPHE does:
· Disseminate up-to-date public health evidence in appropriate formats
· Translate Cochrane Public Health (CPH) reviews
· Provide editorial support for CPH protocols and reviews: methodological peer review and assistance in search strategy development
· Contribute to a formal prioritisation process for the CPH group
· Support CPH authors in Europe and encourage potential review authors to engage in a CPH review
· Engage with national and Europe-based public health institutions, in particular WHO and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
Beyond their contribution to the CPH group, the partners of CPHE are engaged in broader joint activities to promote evidence-based public health in their countries and in Europe, in particular methods development for systematic reviews in the public health field and capacity building. Furthermore, the partners contribute to workshops and conferences in Europe and develop joint research proposals.
Partners and governance structure
Currently, the following institutions are partners of CPHE (in no particular order):
(Prof. Eva Rehfuess, Dr. Jan Stratil, Ana Zhelyazkova)
· Health Sciences Bremen comprising Institute for Public Health and Nursing Research, University of Bremen and Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology BIPS, Bremen, Germany
(Prof. Hajo Zeeb, Prof. Ansgar Gerhardus, Dr. Stefan K. Lhachimi, Dr. Manuela Pfinder, Thomas L. Heise, Dyon Hoekstra)
(Dr. Ursula Griebler, Prof. Gerald Gartlehner, Christina Kien, Irma Klerings)
· Cochrane Switzerland (Center for Primary Care and Public Health (Unisanté), University of Lausanne (Unil), Switzerland (former Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, Lausanne, Switzerland) and Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Prevention Institute, University of Zurich, Switzerland
(Dr. Erik von Elm, Dr. Margot Mütsch, Prof. Milo Puhan, Annegret Borchard)
Partners focus on different aspects according to their expertise, interests and resources. All projects are coordinated among the partners in order to avoid redundancy and to benefit from potential synergies.
CPHE has a governance committee, with a rotating coordination. As of January 2020, Cochrane Switzerland (Center for Primary Care and Public Health (Unisanté), University of Lausanne (Unil), Switzerland (former Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, Lausanne, Switzerland) leads the coordination.
For more information, please contact Annegret Borchard (Cochrane Switzerland): CPHE@unisante.ch